Monday, December 7, 2015

be one

Last week, our church finished up a sermon series called "Be Rich." It was a great way to kick off the holiday season as it reminded each and every one of us that we are all rich in so many ways. If you're reading this post right now on an electronic device that you own, have shoes on your feet, a roof over your head, food on the table, coffee in a fancy red cup, you, my friend, are rich as well. We were reminded that perspective can have a huge influence on how we view our situations. And in addition to the messages on Sunday morning, we were challenged to give. Give a little bit of time, a little bit of money, and a little bit of food. Two hours, $21, and 1.5 lbs of food per person. So we did. 

I wrote our check, shopped for some food, and then we decided where we would serve. First, as a family, we spent an hour helping to pack food for Backpacks of Love, an organization that provides weekend food for kids who normally only get to eat at school. And after that, we spent about five hours this past Saturday volunteering at Annabel's preschool to help fix up the playground. Money, food, time. It didn't feel like we did much, and it sure doesn't sound like a whole lot, does it? But when everyone's money and food and hours were counted up, our church was able to help a lot of people. And this time of year, that's what it's all about, isn't it? Realizing that Christmas isn't about getting, but about giving. And we all have so much to give. Sometimes we just need a little nudge to get started. 

Although I'm usually able to keep it in check, I will admit to having a particularly serious case of the "I wants" and "I needs" around this time of year along with my children and everyone else out there dreaming of what Santa might put under the tree on Christmas morning. But this year, I'm feeling different. I'm feeling rich. Rich in so many ways. Rich in family. Rich in friendship. Rich in health. Rich in all the things that really matter, and even all the things that really don't. I have everything I need. But there are so many out there who don't. 

As I was reflecting on the words and challenge of the past few weeks, I heard Natalie Grant's song "Be One" on the radio a few times and started paying attention to the words. 

It's time to get our hands dirty
Be love, there's a whole lot of hurting
Calling all hearts
Calling all hands
Calling all feet to take a stand
Why sit around and wait for a miracle to come
When we can be one
 
And that's how I came up with my personal theme for December:  be one. Ever since it hit me, I've been brainstorming ways to be one in the days leading up to Christmas and beyond. 
 
Christmas stockings for people in nursing homes who don't get visited on Christmas day...
packing food for Backpacks of Love...
knitted hats for the homeless...
coloring kits to children in the hospital...
gingerbread cookies to an elderly neighbor...
a handwritten note to someone who's missing a loved one...
a basket of books or crosswords puzzles to someone going through chemo...
gift cards to teachers so they don't have to buy classroom supplies out of their own pocket...
new or gently used winter coats to keep kids warm on the playground...
babysitting a special needs child for a few hours so the parents can have a night off...
raking leaves for your busy neighbors...
a home-cooked meal to friends with a new baby...
 
The opportunities are literally endless. I bet you could think of some, too. And although none of them sound like a miracle to you or I, people who have more than enough of everything we need already, they just might feel like one to the person on the receiving end. 
 
So I'm asking you, if you're reading this right now, if you'll be one this holiday season as well. Donate money or time or food or all three to a worthy cause. Find someone who needs something and give it to them. Help a neighbor with a project. Anticipate a need and provide for it. Make someone's day. It doesn't have to be big. Just be one for someone else and realize how rich you really are. And if you do, will you tell me about it? Share on Facebook or Instagram (cwilliams717 or wethree333) with #wethreebeone or email me at ckwwethree333@gmail.com. I would really, really love to hear.
 
If you're interested in hearing more about "Be Rich," you can find the messages here if you scroll down to the section that says "Recent Series" and click on "Be Rich." To listen to Natalie Grant's "Be One," find it on YouTube here. I hope you'll listen and reflect and be one this Christmas season and in the new year ahead.
 
Wishing you light and love this week, my friends.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment