Monday, April 13, 2015

the proof is in the squinting

About a month ago, Will looked at me and said, "Why are you squinting?" And then the conversation went something like this...

"What? Squinting? I'm not squinting." 
"Yes you are."
"I am?"
"Yes you are. You should get your eyes checked."
"No, I don't need my eyes checked. The words are just a little blurry, that's all."
"The words are just a little blurry...?"
"Yes."
"And you don't think you need your eyes checked?"
"No, I'm good. I can still read. They'll never give me glasses. I can make out every single letter."
".......  You're squinting, and you should definitely get your eyes checked."

I can totally admit that I'm more than a little stubborn. Thirty-two years of life will teach you a thing or two about yourself.

When I started thinking about it, I realized that I may have probably have definitely have been squinting when I read for a while now. So yeah, ok, maybe I should think about getting my eyes checked. And then I noticed that sometimes I squint when I'm looking at things that are far away, too. Like when I'm driving.

So I admitted defeat, broke down and made an appointment to get my eyes checked two weeks ago.

Last week I picked up my new pair of glasses. This is how I feel about them...


(By the way, that's also how I feel about taking a selfie, but my entire family was in bed when I realized I needed my picture taken. Terribly poor planning on my part. I'll try not to let it happen again.)
 
But I'm not squinting anymore! Turns out, it's my left eye that's the culprit. I read all those letters on the eye chart with my right eye and didn't make a single mistake. And then I switched that little patch thing and looked out my left eye and couldn't make out a single letter. 

Huh. 

So maybe I was squinting after all. And although they're a pain to get out all the time and even though I sometimes forget to put them on (or don't put them on on purpose, ahem), I have to admit, the words sure are a lot more clear with them on.

The proof is was in the squinting.


Hope you had a great weekend! Will and I dropped the kids off at his dad and step-mom's house and spent a quiet couple of days at a cute little cabin just outside of Blacksburg, VA. I'll tell you more about it next week when I get all my photos sorted out. See you back here on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment