Monday, August 25, 2014

gluten-free blueberry crisp


A few weeks ago, just after my birthday, I headed over to the bookstore armed with all of my birthday money and left with five new books that I've been enjoying reading ever since.  One of them is called Bread and Wine, by Shauna Niequist, and was not only a great read, but included so many great recipes.  I've already tried three of them - the simple vinaigrette, the sweet potato fries with sriracha dipping sauce, and the blueberry crisp - and have loved all of them, but especially that crisp.  I'm a total sucker for a crisp recipe and knew immediately that I would try this one.  You should, too.

Blueberry Crisp 
from Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist

4 cups of blueberries (or other fruit)
1 cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
1/2 cup raw, unsalted pecans, halved or chopped
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together oats, pecans, almond meal, maple syrup, olive oil, and salt in a medium bowl.  
Put the berries into an 8x8 pan and then spread the crisp topping over it.  
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is crisp and golden.  

Notes:  I mixed blueberries and peaches together in our version of this crisp and it was a great combination.  Perfect for breakfast, as a snack, and for dessert with generous amounts of whipped cream and/or ice cream.


Fortunately for me, nobody else in my family is a huge fan of baked fruit so I got to eat the entire thing all by myself.  I was not disappointed.  Some day I hope they'll learn to love fruit crisp as much as I do, but for now, I'm happy to have it all to myself!

I know lots of kids are headed back to school today, but here in central VA we still have one more week of summer vacation left.  We're spending some time at the river, heading to the beach for a day, hanging out with our cousins as much as possible, and generally packing as much fun as we can into our last days of summer.  Good luck to all you guys heading back to school and happy last week of summer to those of you still at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment