Thursday, June 26, 2014

slow summer

In line with what Carrie wrote yesterday, I often find that summer is the most anticipated season (sunshine!, warmth!, pools!, beaches!, tans!) yet it always ends up being the season that flies by in the blink of an eye.  I, too, am always hoping to soak up as many of the long days and warm months as I possibly can and inevitably, come September, feel that I spent too much time inside working (or doing whatever I do) rather than outside soaking up the sun.  I was starting to feel that way last week when I realized how close to July we already are.  Where has June gone and how is it that we are already halfway through 2014?  

We kicked off the official start of summer with dinner out with friends, a walk through town, firefly's and fireworks...

 waiting for the fireworks to start!
 catching firefly's with friends


 the fireworks were so great!  Sommer was quite terrified at first (this was her first time seeing them) but watching them through the camera on my phone somehow made it all better and by the end of the night she was 'oohing' and 'ahhing' right along with the best of 'em.


 we are so lucky to live in an apartment with a community pool and have spent many hours this week alone lounging, playing and meeting new friends there.  On this particular day we found ourselves totally alone at the pool and I kept exclaiming to Matt, "this is the life!...seriously, this is amazing!"  

My hope for the rest of this summer is to slow down and count each little blessing.  All too often I feel rushed through life, waiting for the next big thing when I really just need to be focusing on the little things that make this life so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment