Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Curried Egg Salad

I put the recipe for this egg salad in my book at least three years ago, and never got around to making it until recently. I have always been a fan of curry (see here for my favorite curry recipe) so its appeal was immediately apparent, but I pushed it to the back burner for things like onion and bleu cheese pasta, turkey meatloaf and even pumpkin quesadillas. But then a few weeks ago, I started seeing curried egg salad popping up everywhere - on a cooking show, on Pinterest and even in a healthy eating work publication! So I took this trifecta as a sign that I needed to give the recipe a try. I loved this (and so did my roommate) but if you're not a  fan of curry, beware. :) 


Ingredients:
-4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
-1 tsp. white wine vinegar
-1/4 cup mayo*
-1/2 tsp.curry powder (or to taste)
-4 slices of your favorite bread
-2 tbsp. mango chutney**
-watercress or other lettuce for topping
-salt & pepper

*I have found that you can sub up to half of the mayo for plain Greek yogurt. You lose almost nothing in taste, and make the salad a bit healthier.
**If you can't find mango chutney (I couldn't), use something similar. I went with a roasted pineapple habanero dip and it was delicious.

Method:
-Combine the eggs in a bowl with the vinegar, mayo and curry powder. Season with s&p.
-Spread two of the bread slices with the chutney (or your choice of topping), layer on some egg salad, and top with he watercress (or other lettuce) and remaining bread slice.

[the egg-peeling gods were clearly not on my side]




Enjoy :)

Recipe Source:  Rachael Ray Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment