Thursday, September 6, 2012

in progress

Good morning!  First, a survey:  how many of you associate the word "eggplant" with the word "platypus"?  Show of hands...anyone...anyone?  Nobody?  Huh, imagine that.  So funny, Carrie  :) 

Hope you're having a good week so far!  Tommy's having a great first week of Kindergarten!  Whew!  If he had come home saying he never wanted to go back, I might have let him stay home with me forever.  Annabel and I miss him!  But all is well, I only cried for a minute and only after I was a good distance away from the school.  Tommy was so brave walking in and joining the other kids and a teacher to walk to his classroom.  Love that boy. 

So I finally finished Annabel's blanket!  Here it is in all it's finally-completely-finished glory:

 
I just love how this - my first completed knitting project - turned out. To close the seam, I used the mattress stitch (which I learned to do on YouTube - so many amazingly helpful videos about knitting on there, especially by "the Knitwitch") which I found completely amazing. It just closes the entire thing up, and you can hardly tell where you sewed it together.  Mine's not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty good considering it was the first time I'd ever tried it. 
 
 
 And here's my babies, loving it already.  Just what this mama wanted to see!

 
As soon as I finished Annabel's blanket, I cast on for one for Tommy since he loves his sister's so much.  Here's the beginning of it and the colors I'll be using:


He's SO excited!  But since that's such a big project, I've decided to work on something a little smaller first.  Even though the temps are still in the low 90s and high 80s with crazy high humidity here in central VA, winter is surely on it's way (and hopefully with lots more snow this year!) so I'm knitting up some hats and mittens for Big T and AB.  I started Annabel's first so I can see if I should make Tommy's the same size or bump him up one.  Here's Annabel's so far:

 
She'll have a pair of mittens the same color, and I got blue for my boy who recently declared that his new favorite color.  I'm sure it will change tomorrow. 
 

 
I don't have the mitten pattern yet, but hopefully it will be here soon.  My favorite new quarterly magazine, taproot, should be shipping soon, and in it, is the mitten pattern.  Amanda Blake Soule, the author of my most favorite blog - SouleMama - is the editor of the magazine (and author to several books, two of which are sitting on my bookshelf) and wrote about the newest issue last week.  Check out her post with a photo of them here.  Can't wait to get started! 

And my last project waiting in the wings, is as many dishclothes as I can make from these:


I'm done with sponges.  They get dirty and smelly and I always forget to put them in the dishwasher.  My plan is to make at least seven - one for every day of the week - so I can gather them all up on Friday and throw them in the washing machine. 

So that's it!  Wonder how long it'll take me to get through all these projects?  I also have a few Christmas gift ideas in mind so here's to hoping that I can get everything done in time!

What are you working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment